A family favorite with a tasty Japanese twist.
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- Nutrition information is for one serving.
- Sodium content will depend on type and amount of miso used.
- Coarsely chop carrot and burdock root. Slice boiled bamboo shoots and lotus root into 1cm (1/3 inch) thick pieces. Remove stems and slice shiitake mushrooms in half.
- Starting from cold water, boil burdock root (1). When water begins to boil, add carrot and boil for 5-6 minutes. Add bamboo shoots and let come to a boil again, then drain ingredients together.
- Heat sesame seed oil in a fry pan and saute lotus root and shiitake mushrooms (2), sprinkling with salt and pepper as desired.
- To make white sauce, melt butter in a pan on low heat and then sprinkle flour in. Stir constantly to keep roux from burning and cook until mixture becomes smooth and dry.
- Add milk to roux (4) and stir until combined. Add bay leaf and salt and pepper. Heat and stir until mixture comes to a boil and begins to thicken, then add red miso paste.
- Stir in sauted lotus root, shiitake mushrooms (3) and crushed bouillon cube.
- Coat a gratin dish with butter and pour in ingredients from (6). Divide 2 Tbsp of butter into small portions and sprinkle over top. Bake in oven at 230-240C (460F) for 12-13 minutes and top of gratin is browned.