- Cooking time
- 40 minutes+
- 0.5 g
- * Calories and sodium are for 1 empanada.
- * Recipe amounts have been modified for easier preparation.
- * Cooking time does not include time for stuffing to cool or for the dough to rest.
- ground beef200 g (7 oz.)
- onion (medium; minced)180 g (6-1/4 oz.)
- lard (or salad oil)1 Tbsp
- paprika powder1/2 tsp
- all-purpose flour1/2 Tbsp
- hard-boiled egg1
- olives (seedless)8
- egg whites (for glaze)as needed
- Kikkoman Soy Sauce1 Tbsp
- raisins32 g (about 1-1/4 oz.)
- chili powder1/4 tsp
- cumin powder1/4 tsp
- oregano (dried)1/4 tsp
- all-purpose flour250 g (8-3/4 oz.)
- heavy cream20 ml (3/4 fl. oz.)
- white wine20 ml (3/4 fl. oz.)
- beaten egg1/2 egg portion
- boiling water65 ml (2-1/4 fl. oz.)
- lard (or salad oil)50 ml (1-3/4 fl. oz.)
- salt1 tsp
Recipe by Yukie Okada, Food Stylist
- Heat the lard in a frying pan over medium heat, add the onions and paprika and sauté until the onions become tender. Add (A), then sauté over low heat while gradually adding the beef. When the ingredients have blended together, add the Kikkoman Soy Sauce and mix in the flour, then remove from heat and cool.
Make pie dough
- Make the pie dough (B). Put the flour, white wine, heavy cream and beaten egg in a bowl and combine together. Put the boiling water, lard and salt in another bowl and melt the lard. Set aside until cool enough to touch. Then, gradually add the melted lard to the bowl with the flour while kneading well. Once combined, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Soak the raisins in water and drain. Cut the boiled egg into 1 cm (1/2 in.) cubes.
- Lightly knead (2) and roll out with a rolling pin. Cut the dough into 8 pieces and lightly sprinkle with flour (not included in ingredients) as needed, then roll each into thin, round pieces that are 12 cm (4-3/4 in.) wide. Top each piece with 1 to 2 Tbsp of (1), an olive and (3). Wet the edges with water and gently fold in half, keeping the ingredients inside and sticking the edges together. Brush the surfaces with egg whites.
- Bake in an oven preheated to 200 C (390 F) for 15 to 20 minutes until browned.