GYUDON (BEEF BOWL)
723 Kcal Protein 18.7 g Fat 28.9 g (per person)
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 300 g (10 oz.) thin-sliced beef chuck eye or similar cuts
- Vegetable oil
- 4 bowls of hot cooked rice (2 C before cooking)
- Beni shoga, red pickled ginger
- Green onion, if desired
- 1 C dashi stock
- 4 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 2 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T sake
- Cut onion in half lengthwise and then horizontally into 5-6 mm (1/4 in.) slices. Cut beef into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat vegetable oil in a pan. Briefly sauté the beef over medium heat until brown, then remove from the pan. Add onion to the same pan, briefly sauté and add the ingredients for the simmering sauce.
- When the onion becomes tender and brown from the simmering sauce, return the beef to the pan.
- Bring to a boil; skim off the foam, and simmer briefly until the beef is cooked. If time permits, cool down the pan and allow the beef and onion to absorb the liquid, then reheat just before serving.
- Serve hot cooked rice in individual bowls, topped with the simmered beef and onion. Garnish with red pickled ginger and chopped green onion to serve.
Note: Tofu and shiitake mushrooms may be added to the pan after sautéing the onions, if desired.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml
This recipe was inspired by “The Japanese Table” feature article “Japanese Fusion Cuisine: One-Plate Rice Dishes” included in this issue.