IRI-DOFU SCRAMBLED TOFU
Iri-dofu scrambled tofu is a popular dish, often made at home. In addition to the ingredients suggested here, tofu mixes well with a variety of other vegetables, including Japanese long onion and shiitake mushrooms. Iri-dofu is also delicious served at room temperature.
151 kcal Protein 9.1 g Fat 8.8 g (per person)
- One block firm tofu, 400 g / 14 oz.
- 50 g / 2 oz. carrot
- 40 g / 1.5 oz. burdock root
- 1/4 block konjac, 50 g / 2 oz.
- 2-3 pieces of dried cloud ear mushrooms
- 8 snow peas
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 T granulated sugar
- 2 T Kikkoman Light Color Soy Sauce
- 1 T sake
- 1 egg, beaten
- Cut tofu into quarters, boil for 1 minute in a pot, then drain.
- Cut both carrot and burdock into julienned strips 4 cm / 1 1/2 in. long. Set aside the carrot; soak the burdock in water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Boil konjac for 2 minutes in a pot and drain. Slice thinly crosswise, then cut into julienned strips 4 cm / 1 1/2 in. long.
- Soak dried cloud ear mushrooms in water for 30 minutes, drain and put in a bowl. Pour hot water over the mushrooms and soak for a minute; drain and discard tough ends; cut mushrooms into thin strips.
- String the snow peas. Parboil in salted hot water, then drain. Slice diagonally.
- Heat oil in a pan and on high heat, add konjac, burdock and carrot, sautéing each before adding the next ingredient. Add the cloud ear mushrooms, then the tofu.
- On continued high heat, sauté the tofu, breaking it up coarsely.
- Add the seasoning ingredients, stir well, then add the snow peas.
- Finally, pour in the beaten egg and stir gently. Remove from heat and serve.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml