JIBUNI SIMMERED DUCK WITH NAMA-FU WHEAT GLUTEN & VEGETABLES
Jibuni is a local dish from Kanazawa city in Ishikawa Prefecture, and dates back to the Edo period (1603-1867). In this simple home-cooked dish, grilled tofu may be used instead of nama-fu.
324 kcal Protein 14.9 g Fat 15.1 g (per person)
- 200 g / 7 oz. deboned duck breast*, trimmed of fat only on the sides
- 4 sato-imo, taro
- 4 fresh shiitake mushrooms
- 50 g / 1.7 oz. carrot
- 100 g / 3 1/2 oz. spinach
- 160 g / 5 oz. nama-fu, wheat gluten
- 500 ml / 2 C dashi stock
- 2 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1 1/2 T Kikkoman Light Color Soy Sauce
- 2-3 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
- 2 T sake
- 1/2 T granulated sugar
- Wheat flour
- Cut the duck meat into 8 slices, each 8 mm / 0.3 in. thick.
- Peel the taro; parboil and drain. Discard the tough ends of the shiitake mushrooms and carve decorative cuts into the caps (see photo).
- Cut carrot into strips 1 cm / 0.4 in. wide by 5 cm / 2 in. long by 3 mm / 0.1 in. thick; alternatively, cut into decorative flower shapes using a cookie cutter.
- Parboil the spinach and drain, then squeeze out excess water. Cut into pieces 3 cm / 1 in. long. Cut nama-fu into pieces 1 cm / 0.4 in. thick.
- Place the seasoning ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then add the taro, shiitake mushrooms, carrot and nama-fu. Cover with a drop lid and simmer for 10-15 minutes over medium heat until all the ingredients are cooked. Remove all ingredients and set aside; leave the sauce in the pan.
- Coat the duck meat with wheat flour, and shake off the excess. In the same saucepan, add the meat one slice at a time and simmer over medium heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Place the cooked nama-fu, vegetables and duck along with the spinach in a serving bowl. Reserve the liquid in the saucepan.
- If desired, add a little wheat flour to the saucepan, stirring constantly over medium heat until the broth has thickened.
- Pour this liquid over duck and vegetables, and serve garnished with a dab of wasabi.
* Chicken or beef may be substituted.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation