Made with black-eyed peas instead of the traditional adzuki beans
- Cooking time
- 40 minutes +
- Nutrition information is for one serving.
- Wash the black-eyed peas, then boil and drain the liquid. Heat up with about 600 ml (3 cups (US)) of water.
When the liquid becomes wine colored, pour it into a bowl. Add new water to the peas, and cook the skin peels off.
- Take the liquid from (1) and pour into into another bowl from a height of 20 to 30 cm (8 to 12 inches) to aerate.
Repeat this several times using the 2 bowls to improve the color.
- Wash the rice and allow to soak a while in water.
Drain the water and place the rice in a bowl, then add the cooking liquid from (2) and soak overnight.
- Lay out a cloth in a steamer and put in the black-eyed peas and rice (3).
Cover and steam over high heat.
Add salt to the water taken from the rice.
- Lower the heat every 10 minutes and pour on the liquid from (4).
Using the edges of the cloth, turn over the rice.
- Repeat (5) and steam.
Spread out the rice and then onto a plate or in a bowl.
Sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt and serve.