OYAKODON JAPANESE CHICKEN-EGG RICE BOWL
632 kcal Protein 25.2 g Fat 16.4 g (per serving)
- Deboned chicken thigh*, 300 g / 10 oz.
- 1 T sake
- 1 large onion, 220-250 g / 1/2 lb.
- One or two sprigs of mitsuba Japanese wild parsley or watercress
- 240 ml / 1 C dashi stock
- 3 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 2 T granulated sugar
- 3 T sake
- 4 eggs
- 4 bowls of hot cooked rice
- Roasted nori seaweed, torn into small pieces about 2 T
- Cut the chicken into small pieces about 2 cm / 0.8 in. square. Sprinkle 1 T sake over the meat and set aside.
- Peel and trim the onion and cut it in half, then cut into thin slices along the fiber. Cut mitsuba to separate leaves from stems; cut stems into 2 cm / 0.8 in. lengths.
- Place the ingredients for the simmering liquid in a pot. Add the sliced onion and simmer over medium heat until onion is slightly soft. Add the chicken to the pot and simmer until almost cooked.
- Each of the four servings is then prepared separately. Beat one egg. Pour one-quarter of the onion and chicken mixture with the liquid into a small frying pan, about 18 cm / 7 in. diameter. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Pour beaten egg over the onion and chicken, cover and continue to cook until egg is set to desired firmness. Turn off the heat, add 1/4 amount of mitsuba and cover briefly, until mitsuba becomes a bit wilted.
- Fill an individual bowl with hot cooked rice, making the rice flat on top. Gently transfer the cooked chicken and egg onto the rice to cover it completely, then garnish with 1/2 T nori. Repeat Steps 4 to 6 to make three more individual servings.
* Chicken thigh without skin may be used if preferred.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml