ZUCCHINI NOODLE SALAD
Zucchini “noodles” are a popular alternative to pasta, and are also great for salad-style dishes like this one. Soy sauce-based dressing adds an Asian touch. This recipe is easy to adjust for vegetarians by exchanging chicken with tofu, and using vegetable stock or kombu dashi instead of the chicken liquid.
148 kcal Protein 4.6 g Fat 1.4 g (per serving)
- 1 boneless chicken breast, skin removed
Marinade for chicken
- 100 ml / 3.5 oz. water
- 1/2 t salt
- 2 pieces Mandarin orange peel*, each 3 cm x 4 cm (1 in. x 1.5 in.)
- 3 T sake
- 2 T grain vinegar
- 2 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1 T sesame oil
- 2-4 T minced white part of scallion
- 1 knob ginger, minced
- 1 T grain vinegar
- 1 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1/2 T sesame oil
- 1 T liquid from cooked chicken
- Peel of 1/3-1/2 Mandarin orange, grated*
- 2 medium zucchini
- Broccoli for optional garnish
- Butterfly the thickest part of the chicken breast so the meat will cook uniformly. Pierce entirely with a fork. Marinate the chicken and refrigerate overnight. Drain and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Place the chicken in a frying pan and pour on the sake. Cook over medium heat. When it starts to boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until a skewer goes through the chicken smoothly. Turn off heat and leave chicken in the pan for about 10 minutes, then remove from pan to cool. Strain the liquid and set aside to use in zucchini seasoning. Tear the chicken into thin strips along fibers.
- Mix ingredients for scallion sauce and allow to sit for over 10 minutes.
- Mix together zucchini seasoning ingredients and set aside. Trim both ends of the zucchini and make zucchini “noodles” using a spiralizer.**
- Place the “noodles” in a shallow heat-resistant plate and microwave for 20 seconds at 500-600 W. Toss and microwave for another 20 seconds.
- Stir 1-1 1/2T of the zucchini seasoning into the noodles to season lightly.
- Boil the broccoli, drain and cut into small pieces. Mix in a little zucchini seasoning.
- Arrange zucchini noodles on a serving plate. Place chicken over the noodles, and sprinkle scallion sauce over the chicken. Lay out broccoli and diced tomato on the plate and garnish with dill leaves. Serve with extra scallion sauce on the side.
* Lemon or orange peels may also be used.
** Alternatively, use a cheese grater to make long shreds.
Recipe by Michiko Yamamoto
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml