FUTO-MAKI JUMBO SUSHI ROLL
Serves 8 (4 rolls)
312 kcal Protein 7.7 g Fat 4.0 g (per person)
- 4 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 360 ml (1 1/2 C) water
- 60 ml (1/4 C) mushroom soaking water
- 1 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1 T granulated sugar
- 1 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
- Hot cooked Japonica rice*
Sushi vinegar mixture
- 4 T rice vinegar
- 1 t granulated sugar
- 1 t salt
- 135 g (4.8 oz.) canned flaked tuna in oil
- 1 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1/2 T granulated sugar
- 1/2 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
Tamago-yaki Japanese omelet
- Vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 2 t granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 4 sheets roasted nori seaweed
- 12 sticks imitation crab meat
- Soak dried shiitake mushrooms in water for several hours; drain and squeeze off excess water and remove stems. Reserve soaking water. Simmer with shiitake seasoning in small pan for about 5 minutes over medium heat until the liquid has nearly evaporated. Cut shiitake into 3 mm (0.1 in.) slices.
- Mix hot cooked rice with sushi vinegar mixture, fan to cool. Drain excess oil from tuna. Place tuna and tuna seasoning in a small pan, heat over medium heat until liquid has nearly evaporated.
- To make tamago-yaki, heat vegetable oil over medium heat in a rectangular frying pan** and pour in 1/3 egg mixture. When eggs are half-set, fold omelet by lifting the far end and rolling it toward you. Lightly grease the empty area of the pan, move omelet to this far side; grease the other half of pan. Pour in another third egg mixture and allow this new layer to seep beneath omelet. When the new layer is half-set, fold it as the first layer; repeat this process for the third layer, cook until lightly browned. After omelet has cooled, cut into 1 cm (1/3 in.) square long strips, as per cucumber in next step.
- Trim the cucumber into same length as the nori seaweed; then cut lengthwise into 6 mm (1/4 in.) strips.
- To make the sushi roll, place a sheet of nori on a bamboo mat. Spread the sushi rice out evenly on the nori, leaving the top and bottom of the sheet uncovered. Lay out a strip of cucumber, slices of shiitake, a quarter of the tuna, 3 crab sticks and 2 strips of tamago-yaki, all centered atop the rice (see photo 1). Roll up the nori sheet using the bamboo mat, holding the fillings tightly in place (see photos 2 and 3). Repeat with each sheet of nori.
- Cut each roll into 8 pieces. When cutting, use a dry cutting board to prevent nori from sticking, and wipe the knife with a damp kitchen towel before cutting each piece.
* 2C Japonica rice and 530 ml (2 C+3 T) water
** If a Japanese-style rectangular omelet pan is unavailable, use an 18 cm (7 in.) round pan to make the long omelet strips.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml