SALMON RICE GARNISHED WITH SALMON CAVIAR
490 kcal Protein 44.3 g Fat 3.9 g (per serving)
- 400 ml / 1 2/3 C japonica rice
- 1 knob ginger
- 2-3 stems watercress, no leaves
- 300 g / 10 oz. salmon
- 3 T water
- 3 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 3 T sake
- 2 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
- 60 g / 2 oz. salmon caviar
- Wash rice and allow to drain in a colander for about 15 minutes.
- Cut ginger into needle-thin strips.
- Parboil watercress stems and drain, squeeze out excess water. Chop into small pieces, and set aside for garnish.
- Remove salmon skin and cut the salmon into bite-size pieces. Parboil the salmon briefly* (see photo) and set aside.
- Place the ingredients for simmering liquid in a saucepan.
- Add the ginger and salmon, then simmer over medium heat for 3-4 minutes until salmon is cooked. Remove ginger and salmon; save the simmered liquid.
- In a rice cooker, cook the rice together with a mixture totaling 480 ml / 2 C of simmered salmon liquid and water. After the rice has cooked, add the salmon, close the lid and allow to steam for about ten minutes.
- Gently fold the salmon into the cooked rice. Serve in individual rice bowls, garnished with the watercress and salmon caviar.
* Place salmon pieces on a strainer and gently lower into a pot of boiling water. Lift the strainer after a few seconds, or when salmon changes color.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml