MISO-MARINATED GRILLED PORK
284 kcal Protein 19.9 g Fat 19.3 g (per serving)
- 4 pork loin or tenderloin chops, 2 cm / 0.8 in. thick*
- 300 g / 1 C miso
- 1 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 4 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
- 3 T granulated sugar
- 1 knob ginger, cut into julienned strips
- 2 sheets of cheesecloth or gauze**
- 1 carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 4 okra pods
- Mix the ingredients for the miso marinade well, and divide the mixture into thirds.
- With a knife, make a few small slits around the edges of each pork chop to prevent the meat from curling up during grilling.
- In a lidded container spread out one third of the marinade evenly. Lay a sheet of cheesecloth over the marinade, and on this, place the pork chops.
- Place the second sheet of cheesecloth on the meat, and cover evenly with another third of the marinade (see photo). Secure the lid and allow to chill in refrigerator for 8 to 10 hours. The remaining third of the marinade should be refrigerated for later use to marinate the vegetables in Step 7.
- A few hours before grilling the chops, prepare the vegetables for marinating. Cut the carrot and celery into sticks, 1 cm / 0.4 in. wide and 4 cm / 1.5 in. long. Boil the carrot cubes to desired texture and drain; set all aside.
- Sprinkle and rub okra with 1/2 t salt. Parboil and drain, remove stems; set aside.
- Marinate the vegetables by gently mixing them with the last of the marinade; cover and place in the refrigerator for about two hours. When time, remove the vegetables, rinse off marinade with water and pat dry with a paper towel; set aside until ready to serve.
- Remove meat from the marinade and grill. Serve with the vegetables on the side.
* Beef or chicken are equally delicious alternatives.
** Cheesecloth prevents miso from sticking to the meat. If any miso remains on the meat, it will char during grilling.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml