SAWANI-WAN CLEAR SOUP WITH PORK AND JULIENNED VEGETABLES
Sawani-wan is a soup that includes a variety of julienned vegetables and meat such as pork or chicken.
62 kcal Protein 4.4 g Fat 2.9 g (per serving)
- 60 g / 2 oz. pork butt
- 60 g / 2 oz. boiled bamboo shoot*
- 60 g / 2 oz. carrot
- 30 g / 1 oz. burdock root
- 4 shiitake mushrooms
- 6 snow peas
- 960 ml / 4 C dashi stock
- 1 t Kikkoman Light Color Soy Sauce
- 1 t salt
- Coarse ground black pepper
- Boil water for parboiling pork. Cut the pork butt into very thin slices, then into narrow strips 2-3 mm / 0.1 in. wide and 4 cm / 1.5 in. long. Place these in the boiling water just briefly, only until color changes. Remove and pat dry.
- Julienne the boiled bamboo shoot and carrot in 4 cm / 1.5 in. lengths.
- Scrub to remove dirt from burdock root. Julienne and soak in water for 5 minutes, then pat dry.
- Remove stems from the shiitake mushrooms and thinly slice the caps. Parboil briefly and then drain. Trim and string the snow peas; blanch for 1 minute, place in cold water briefly and drain. Cut diagonally to the same size as the other vegetables.
- Place the dashi stock, soy sauce and salt in a pot. Add all the ingredients except for the snow peas. Cook over medium heat until all the ingredients are cooked through. Add the snow peas and then immediately remove from heat.
- Serve the soup in individual bowls and sprinkle with black pepper.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml