AVOCADO-SOY MILK TOFU
The lightness of the avocado tofu, with its essential accompaniments of sauce and wasabi, is best appreciated if sliced thin. This refreshing appetizer of fiber-rich kanten may be enjoyed as vegetarian sashimi or served alongside a salad for a heartier meal.
4 appetizer servings
376 kcal Protein 4.0 g Fat 35.3 g (per person)
- 1 ripe avocado, approx. 280 g / 9 oz.
- 2 t lemon juice
- 4 g / scant 1 t kanten (agar-agar) powder*
- 240 ml / 1 C water
- 200 ml / 7 fl. oz. soy milk, at room temperature
- 1 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 8 T Japanese mayonnaise
- Wasabi paste to taste
- Halve the avocado, remove seed, peel and dice into small pieces for easy mashing. Place these in a bowl, add lemon juice and mash together roughly using a potato masher.** Set aside.
- Mix the kanten powder and water in a milk pan. Cook over medium-low heat while stirring continuously. When it comes to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for another 1-2 minutes, stirring and taking care it does not boil over. Turn off heat, add the soy milk to the pan and stir well using a whisk.
- Pour the agar-agar/soy milk liquid over the mashed avocado and mix. To form the tofu, pour this avocado mixture into a square mold 12 cm x 12 cm / 5 in. x 5 in., or an oblong mold with liquid capacity of up to 800 ml / 3 1/3-4 C. Allow to cool.
- In 10-15 minutes, the surface will become firm. Spread plastic wrap
tightly over the surface of the avocado mixture in the mold, pressing out
the air in order to prevent discoloration (see photo). Chill in a refrigerator
for 2-3 hours until completely set and cool.
- To make the sauce, mix soy sauce and mayonnaise.*** After chilling, run a knife aroundthe mold to loosen and remove the avocado tofu from the mold. Cut in half, then cut eachhalf into rectangular slices about 5-6 mm / 1/5 in. in thickness.****
- Serve the avocado tofu with sauce and wasabi on the side.
* See package instructions for exact amount of kanten powder needed to gel in 500 ml / 2 C of liquid.
** May also be roughly pureed in a food processor.
*** If mayonnaise is to be avoided, alternatives include soy sauce, ponzu sauce or soy sauce mixed with lemon juice;
each with a dab of wasabi.
**** Even if using a different sized mold, it is important to maintain the thickness of the rectangular slices at 5-6 mm.
Recipe by Michiko Yamamoto
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml