SOBA SUSHI ROLLS
Futo-maki sushi rolls are typically made with sushi rice, but this delicious variation features soba. Other ingredient options include smoked salmon or ham in place of imitation crabmeat. Colorful red, green and yellow ingredients work well to make this sushi roll visually appealing as well as tasty.
Serves 4, makes 2 rolls
248 kcal Protein 12.5 g Fat 6 g (per person)
- 2-3 dried shiitake mushrooms
- 240 ml / 1 C water
Seasoning for shiitake
- 80 ml / 1/3 C shiitake soaking water
- 1/2 T Kikkoman Soy Sauce
- 1/2 T granulated sugar
- 1/2 T Kikkoman Manjo Mirin
- 200 g / 7 oz. dried soba noodles
- 50 ml / 3 1/3 T sushi vinegar*
- 1/2 Japanese cucumber
- 6 sprigs watercress
Tamago-yaki Japanese omelet
- 2 eggs
- 2 t granulated sugar
- Pinch of salt
- Vegetable oil
- 2 sheets roasted nori seaweed, about 21 cm×19 cm / 8 in.×7.5 in.
- 6 sticks imitation crabmeat
- Soak the dried shiitake in 240 ml / 1 C water for several hours. Drain and reserve this soaking water. Squeeze out excess water, remove stems. Simmer the shiitake with seasoning ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat until the liquid has nearly evaporated. Cut into slices.
- Divide soba into two equal bundles. Tie one end of each bundle with cooking twine** (see photo). Into a saucepan of boiling water, first submerge about 2 cm / 0.8 in. of the tied end of one soba bundle for 1 minute, then submerge and cook the entire bundle as per package instructions. Keeping the twine tied, drain, rinse well with running water and then drain again; blot excess water with a paper towel. Repeat for the other soba bundle. Cut off about 3 cm / 1 1/2 in. of the tied end and discard. Sprinkle sushi vinegar evenly over aligned soba.
- Cut cucumber lengthwise, the same length as the nori seaweed, then cut in half again lengthwise. Parboil the watercress and drain.
- To make the omelet, beat eggs then mix in sugar and salt. Heat oil over medium heat in a non-stick 18 cm / 7 in. frying pan. Pour in the egg mixture all at once, stir slightly and cook until set. Place omelet on parchment paper and press gently into a flattened rectangular shape. When cool, cut lengthwise into three pieces. Cut one lengthwise piece in half.
- Sushi rolls: place one sheet of nori on a bamboo mat. Evenly spread out one portion of soba on the nori from end to end, leaving the top 3 cm / 1 1/2 in. and bottom 2cm / 0.8 in. of the nori uncovered. Lay out half the shiitake, cucumber strips, watercress, 1+ 1/2 strip of omelet and 3 crabmeat sticks from end to end, all centered atop the soba. Roll up the nori sheet tightly using the bamboo mat, pressing the fillings in place. Repeat with the other sheet of nori and allow both rolls to set for at least 30 minutes.
- Cut each roll into 2 cm / 1 in. pieces. Use a dry cutting board to prevent nori from sticking; wipe knife with damp kitchen towel before cutting each piece.
- Serve with soy sauce or soba dipping sauce.
* If sushi vinegar is unavailable, mix 3 T rice vinegar, 2 t granulated sugar and 1/2 t salt.
** This prevents noodles from scattering during boiling and keeps them aligned, which makes it easier to lay them out on the nori.
Recipe by Kikkoman Corporation
1 C (U.S. cup) = approx. 240 ml; 1 T = 15 ml; 1 t = 5 ml