A very simple recipe for the hearty and healthy traditional soup of Japan.
- Cooking time
- 10 minutes
- Nutrition information is for one serving.
- Reconstitute the seaweed in lukewarm water for 5 minutes, drain and gently squeeze out the water. Cut into bite-size pieces
- Rinse the tofu and drain; cut into 1 cm (1/2 in) cubes.
- Bring the dashi to a boil in a saucepan. Add the tofu and seaweed and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Ladle out a little broth; in the ladle, dissolve the miso then stir back into the soup.
- When the soup comes to a gentle boil, remove from heat and serve immediately.
- Avoid reheating miso soup, as the delicate aroma of the miso will be lost.
- Other possible ingredients include thin deep-fried tofu, potato, onions, daikon radish, eggplant or mushrooms. For best results, choose just two or three ingredients.
- Substitute 3 cups ichiban dashi with 2 tsp Kikkoman Katsuo-Dashi + 3 cup water.