Delicately bitter fuki / Japanese butterbur flavored with soy sauce and mirin.
- Cooking time
- 15 minutes
- Nutrition facts are for one serving.
- Cut the fuki to fit in a pot and sprinkle on 1/2 Tbsp of salt. Roll back and forth on a cutting board to rub in the salt. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes, then immediately transfer to cold water. Remove any sinew and cut diagonally into 3 cm (1.2 in.) lengths.
- Cut the pork into small pieces. Remove seeds from the red chili pepper and chop into small rounds.
- Heat the sesame oil in a fry pan over low heat, saute the red chili pepper without scorching, then turn the heat to medium and saute the pork.
- Once the pork is browned, add in (1) and saute. Add in (A), then add in the soy sauce to finish while sauteing and simmering to boil down the cooking liquids, Serve onto plates.
Fuki/Japanese butterbur - rolling in salt
Fuki/Japanese butterbur - peeling the skin