Enjoy flavor-soaked daikon radish.
- Cooking time
- 60 minutes
- Nutrition facts are for one serving.
- Insert a kitchen knife into the joints of the chicken wings and separate into two halves.
- Massage the yam cake with salt (extra), then parboil and allow to cool in a colander. Slice a crisscross pattern into the surface and cut into 8 cubes.
- Cut the daikon radish into 2 to 3 cm (about 1 in.) thick half moons, then peel. Remove thick stems from the chrysanthemum leaves, and cut into easy-to-eat lengths.
- Heat an unoiled pot and arrange the meat (1) inside. Brown on all sides. Add in 800 ml (27.1 fl. oz.) of water, the kombu, ginger and daikon radish (3), cover with a drop-lid* and turn the heat to medium-high. Once boiling remove any scum that forms and maintain a gentle simmer for about 20 minutes.
* A drop lid is a lid that floats on top of the liquid in pots and pans while simmering foods. It allows heat to be evenly distributed so ingredients cook evenly and quickly. You can purchase one, or make a substitute out of aluminum foil.
- Add (2), the sake and mirin, and simmer for 10 minutes. Next add in the salt and soy sauce and allow to cook for a further 10 minutes. Turn off the flame and allow the flavor to soak into the ingredients for some time.
- Add the chrysanthemum leaves and quickly heat. Serve hot.
*If time is available, completely cooling (5) allows the flavors to be soaked into the ingredients. Prior to serving, reheat and continue to step (6).