This cute rolled sushi is perfect for parties.
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- Nutrition facts are for one serving.
- Prepares 4 slices of one flower sushi roll.
- This recipe is for a red flower sushi roll. In the video, ingredients for orange and green flower sushi rolls are also shown.
- In this recipe a half sheet nori seaweed is half of a full sheet of nori seaweed that has been cut in half lengthwise.
※ In a cup or bowl, prepare a 20% vinegar and 80% water solution (vinegared water). Use this to keep rice from sticking to hands and knives.
- Thoroughly mix together the vinegar, sugar and salt.
- Mix (1) into the warm cooked rice and set aside to cool.
- Cut 2 half sheets of nori seaweed into thirds. This will prepare 6 sheets 1/3 in size each. ※Of these, 5 sheets will be used.
- Divide the sushi rice (2) into 3 portions, tint each with the red coloring ingredient, then divide each into 5 portions.
- Place a 1/3 sheet of the half sheet nori seaweed onto a sushi mat with the long edge parallel to the slats. Lightly coat your hands with the vinegared water and form a 1/5 portion of the sushi rice (red) into a cylinder, roll the sushi mat once while firmly pushing down on the roll. Repeat 5 times to form the “flower petals”.
※ if you do not have a sushi mat, rolling can be done by hand.
- Arrange 3 of the rice rolls (5) to form a half circle, place the stick of cheese “flower center" in the hollow formed by the rolls and balance the two remaining rolls on top of the stick of cheese. Viewing the roll from the side, adjust the shape to resemble a “flower”.
- Place a 1 half sheet of nori seaweed lengthwise onto the sushi mat, lay the parts of the “flower” on top of the front edge crosswise and while rolling up the nori seaweed, place the julienned cucumber into the 5 spaces between each petal.
※ Cucumber is optional.
- Place a few grains of rice at the edge of the nori seaweed, smash and spread these along the end as glue to hold the roll in place. Roll up to close and flatten the sushi rice at both ends of the roll.
- Wet the knife with vinegared water after each cut and cut a little at a time to divide each roll into 4 equal slices.
※ Do not cut all at once. By coating the knife with vinegared water before each cut, the freshly cut edge will be clean and intact.