Mix the cooking liquids throughout for deep flavor.
- Cooking time
- 25 minutes +
- Nutrition information is for one serving.
- Time to rehydrate the dried shiitake is not included in the cooking time.
- Cut the chicken thigh into bite-size pieces.
- Rehydrate the dried shiitake in water, remove the stems and slice each in half.
- Roughly chop up the carrot. Scrape off the burdock root with a brush or knife, roughly chop up and place in water.
- Use a spoon to tear the yam cake into bite-size pieces, massage in a pinch of salt (not included in ingredients) then rinse with water. Peel the taro roots and chop into large chunks, also massage these with a pinch of salt and rinse off any sliminess.
- Heat a pot and add in half of the sesame oil, sauté (1) then remove and cover in (A) while still hot.
- Pour the remaining sesame oil into the pot and sauté (3), add in (2) and (4) and sauté together. Add in the bonito stock and (B), place a drop-lid on top and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes.
* A drop lid is a lid that floats on top of the liquid in pots/pans while simmering foods. It allows heat to be evenly distributed so ingredients cook evenly and quickly. You can purchase one, or make a substitute out of aluminum foil.
- Return (5) to the pot with the seasoning and simmer for a further 7 to 8 minutes. Remove the lid and turn up the heat to boil off some liquid, then mix the cooking liquids throughout.