Fully-flavored with sesame seeds and young sardines.
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes +
- Nutrition facts are for one serving.
- Time to cool is not included in the cooking time.
- Mix together (A), warm in a microwave then stir together to dissolve. Pour this mixture onto the rice, quickly stir in, cover with a moistened paper towel and cool to room temperature.
- Place each sheet of thin deep-fried tofu onto a cutting board, use a cooking chopstick or rolling pin to firmly push down and roll over each sheet. Then cut the sheets in half and widely open each to form pouches.
- Place (2) into boiling water and allow to boil for about 1 minute to remove excess oil.
- Place the dashi into a pot, add in (3) and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add in (B), cover with a drop lid* and simmer for a further 10 minutes.
* A drop lid is a lid that floats on top of the liquid in pans while simmering foods. It allows heat to be evenly distributed so ingredients cook evenly and quickly. You can purchase one, or make a substitute out of aluminum foil.
- Lighly toast the sesame seeds to fragrant before adding to (1), also add in the semi-dried young sardines and combine all together.
- Stuff (6) into (5), after lightly squeezing out excess broth. Garnish with pickled red ginger if available.